Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tomato plants

We've a big garden now & I'm planning to grow few veggies this spring & summer. Both me & AmAr are excited about it. He is going to take care of the bulb plants & I'm trying my hand at getting few veggies to grow. Earlier we'd a small patch where we could grow only few plants. We'd bought just one tomato seedling which yielded around 40-50 tomatoes. So decided would start with it this year as well.

Last weekend when we were shopping at a Garden store in Hockenheim, I was on hunt for vegetable seeds & seedlings. They'd good variety of tomato saplings, ready to be planted. So bought a crate of 6 seedlings. Last weekend the weather was not that appealing to plant them immediately. So had to wait.

The forecast for this week though was good. Temperature not dipping to frost the soil again. After researching on the web for the right time to plant these seedlings, planted them finally on Tuesday in the late afternoon (Temperature was around 15 Deg C). I gave them little water as the soil was quite dry. Tomatoes plants like lot of sunlight, warmth, fertile soil, regular watering.

Today is Friday & I'm happy to see that I made the right decision of planting them. They seem to love the sun shine on them for around 8-10 hours daily. I'd watered them yesterday once in the afternoon. I'll have to get supporting stalks for each sapling before they get damaged because of their own weight. So, that is on my shopping list next. I know I've made the mistake of not buying them earlier. The advise is that, the stalking has to be done while planting the seedlings to prevent damage to the new roots that will emerge.

I'll try to upload the photos as soon as possible. The website I refered to is Grow your tomatoes.

04.04.2009: - One of the 6 tomato seedlings.

For the flowers that bloomed from this plant, visit this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on the post. I really appreciate it. Visit my blog again.