Friday, April 3, 2009

Tulipa



Tulipa is commonly known as Tulips. I got to know this of course from Wikipedia. I knew Netherlands was famous for Tulips. But, never thought Tulips were not native to Netherlands. Forget Netherlands, Tulips are not native to Europe itself. Most of the European countries who formed their colonies throughout the World brought the tulip bulbs back to their home countries as a souvenir. The flowers usually have 5 petals. But now there are so many hybrids & more & more research yields a new lot every year.

A tulip or a daffodil bulb is an embryo or the food storage of the plant. One of the website called these beauties "the jewels of Spring". It's so pleasing to see the colorful buds that make their way out in early spring. "New Life" as it's rightly said marks the arrival of Spring.


The way I'm planting the bulbs in our garden since the last 3 years is quite simple. I don't use lot of compost or fertilizer to provide nutrition to the bulbs. I plant the bulbs in late fall sometime in the last week of October just before we change to winter time. The bulbs are placed with the pointing edge facing the sky. A good 8-10" hole is dug in the soil & onions are placed at a distance of around 5-10 centimeters from each other. I chose a fairly sunny spot for it. The foliage start showing as early as February when the soil temperature slightly increases. I've observed this for the last two years. If you want to force them bloom, then the bulbs can be planted in a pot; kept outside till you see the foliage & then bring them inside. But I wouldn't recommend this. If the fall season is very dry, then the bulbs need water. So I think I'd watered them like once in two days.

Care for the Tulip bulbs after they bloom: - After the flowering in spring has gone by, cut the flowers stalks till completely. I usually leave the foliage to turn yellow naturally. These bulbs are also similar to the Daffodil bulbs. If the foliage is chopped of early, there is no food stored in the bulbs & they might not bloom during their next season. Once they dry, cut them. The onions are removed from the soil, cleaned & then stored in boxes with dry grass / hay or paper.

There are many websites guiding the plantation & storing of these bulbs. Most of them suggest the same procedure. I avoid the usage of fertilizer.

The snaps above are of the blooms from our Garden. Some of the beautiful memories captured over the years from our frequent trips to Lisse, Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on the post. I really appreciate it. Visit my blog again.